Monday, February 12, 2007

The Death of Solomon

XXXII
The Death of Solomon

AT AGE 60, Solomon lost his will to live. The Ark was gone and so was his wisdom the God of Israel had given him.
The Angel of Death hovered over his bed.
"O Lord God of Israel, I'm conquered by the terrestrial law," he cried. "Please, have mercy on me and remember the covenant you made with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Have mercy on me, for the sake of David. O Master of the world and of kings and of governors have mercy on me."
Tears streams down his face and he tried to dry them.
The Angel of Death reminded Solomon that his anguish was caused by marrying alien women and taking the Law of God lightly, and believing he would sire many male offspring.
"He has only given you three sons," said the Angel, whose name was Gabriel. "The one who carried your glory to Ethiopia, whom they call Ibna Hakim, then there's the little crippled one, Rehoboam, from the house of Judah and Adramis, who's the son of a Greek handmaiden."
Gabriel then touched Solomon on the foot and his health seemed to be restored.
Later, the king prayed, "I give thanks to the Lord, for he's looked on my affliction and didn't allow me to die in my grief."
He then told the court reporter to write down his final words, which were these:
"As a rsult of worshipping the strange gods of my wives, the spirit of God departed from me and from that day on my words became as idle talk., for she convinced me to build temples of idols. As a result I, wretched man that I am, carried out her advice and the glory of God completely departed from me. My spirit darkened and I became a laughing stock to the idols and demons. For the reason I have written out this, my testament, in order that those who hear might pray about, and pay attention to, the last things and not the first things."
Then Solomon ordered Zadok to anoint Rehoboam king, just like his father, David, had done while he was still alive.
The city was alive with celebrating as Rehoboam rode the king's mule through the streets, but before the son could return to his father, Solomon died.
Although Solomon had strictly ruled during the latter part of his reign, Rehoboam was a cruel and contemptible monarch and later the kingdom was divided in two -- Israel and Judah -- with Jeroboam picked by lot.
And then its people were scattered to the four winds of the earth, for the Glory of the King had vanished.

No comments: