Monday, February 12, 2007

The Glory of His Presence

IX
The Glory of His Presence

1. UNBELIEF WRITTEN ON HER FACE

MAKEDA STOOD with unbelief written on her face. The cloud has passed over her head and the heads of her noblemen in the outer court of the Temple.
"What's that, my lord?" she asked Solomon. Her voice was a mixture of amazement and shock.
"My Lady, this Yahweh's presence."
As she turned to look into the king's face, it was shining with his robes taking on a supernatural quality and in a passionate voice he said: "O, Lord, you said you'd live in the thick darkness."
With dramatic suddenness the cloud swooped low over their heads. This time the pure light was more intense,
"Don't look, Makeda," cried Solomon as he clutched her dainty hand, tightly. "Keep your eyes shut." They sank to the Temple floor, along with the royal party as the heavenly spectacle continued.
Swirling around the heavily-covered Ark were now white clouds and sparks and the sounds of distant trumpets.
"How good he is," whispered Solomon. "He is always so loving and kind."
Makeda kept her eyes closed for what seemed like an eternity and when she finally did open them her entourage were still prostrate and worshipping a god they had only heard of from Tamrin and his company of traders.
The smoke from the Great Fire hung over the Mount and the smell of incense was heavy in the air after Solomon commanded the sacrifice of thousands of lambs. Shechita.

The sights and sounds of the Tabernacle Festival flooded Makeda's mind. She was overwhelmed in her spirit -- and she was in love.
The face of Solomon invaded her thoughts; speaking words of wisdom and, of passion. Bursts of light of the glory, which had filled the Temple, and caused her to prostrate herself on the ground also occupied her thoughts during her waking hours -- and even in the night, she couldn't erase her ectasy.
Tamrin had told her of his dream of the golden container; and now she had seen its power and Makeda would never be the same again.

2. A SMITTEN SOLOMON

MAKEDA WAS torn between her father's words concerning pursuing wisdom and understanding and her infatuation with this monarch.
"O, Solomon," she whispered. "I only wish I could be one of the least of your handmaidens so I could wash your feet and listen to your wisdom and serve your majesty."
The king was smitten by her beauty. He, although a womanizer to the extreme, was drawn to her daintiness; the nape of her neck.
"As for me, I only possess wisdom and understanding in the measure the God of Israel has given me because I asked and pleaded with him." The words spurted out of his lips, but his mind was whirling with thoughts of seducing this truly magnificent virgin of Ethiopia. He would give up his kingdom and his wives and concubines, if only he could have this woman, he thought.
"And you, although you don't know the God of Israel, has this wisdom which has grown in your heart and it made you come to me, for you see, Makeda, I do whatever He commands me to do and whatever wisdom He gives me, I understand. My Lady is the Tabernacle of the Law, the holy and heavenly Zion -- the Ark of the Covenant."

Looking out the Palace window, Solomon watched a laborer with a stone on his head and a flask of water around his neck and shoulders. His food and sandals were ragged and tattered and sweat was falling from his face.
"Makeda, come to the balcony with me."
Both looked over the railing, and Solomon told the hireling to stand still.
"Look at this man," Solomon said, turning to Makeda, and asking, "Am I superior to this man? And why should I glory over this man? For I'm just a man and dust and ashes and tomorrow will become worms and corruption and yet, at this moment, I appear as one who will never die. Who would complain to God if he were to make me as this man is? Are we not just both men? As is his death, so is my death; and as his life so is my life. Yet this man is stronger to work than me, for God gives power to those who need it."
Solomon told the man to go back to work. The laborer left, still carrying the stone on his head.
"What is the use for the children of men, if we don't exercise kindness and love on the earth? Aren't we all nothingness, mere grass of the field, which withers in its season and is burned in the fire?
"On the earth we provide ourselves with dainty meats and we wear costly apparel, but while we are alive we stink of corruption; we provide ourselves with sweet scents, but even while we are alive we are dead in sin and in trangressions; being wise we become fools through disobedience and deeds of iniquity; being held in honor, we become contemptible through magic and sorcery and worshipping idols."
"Tell me now, who should I worship?" asked an attentive Makeda. "I worship the sun because my father said it was the king of the gods. Others of my subjects worship stones, some worship trees, some worship carved figures and some images of gold and silver.
"No man has told me that there's any god besides the sun, but you, my lord, have shown me there's one who comes down to you and talks with you and resides right here in the Temple, which you've built."
Solomon then told her, "It's right that men should worship God, who created the universe, the heavens and the earth, the sea and the dry land, the sun and the moon, the stars and the brilliant bodies of the heavens, the trees and the stones, the beasts and the feathered fowl. It is him alone we should worship in fear and trembling, with joy and gladness. For he's the Lord of the universe, the creator of angels and men.
"You're right in saying that he's given us the Tabernacle of the Law, the Ark, and has brought down to us His commandments, in writing, so that we can know His decree and judgment that he ordained in the mountain of His holiness."
Makeda confirmed she had made up her mind. Although, she knew in her heart it had occurred as she was laying in the Temple and overwhelmed by the great presence.
"From this moment on," she began, "I will not worship the sun, but I'll worship the creator of the sun, the God of Israel. The Tabernacle of the God of Israel will be my Lady and to my seed after me and to all the kingdoms that are under my dominion. And because of this I have found favor before you and before the God of Israel my creator who brought me to you and allowed me to hear your voice and has let me understand your commandment."

3. GROWING HOMESICK

DESPITE THE SPLENDOR of Jerusalem, Makeda began to grow homesick even though Ethiopia seemed sometimes to be so far away -- a distant memory of her youth.
The six months of listening to Solomon, of touring his flourishing kingdom in the monarch's golden chariots, inspecting his cities and forts, had given he maturity beyond her years, Makeda knew the knowledge of his administrative skills would serve her well.
Separating from Solomon, even though they had no sexual contact to this point, would be difficult. Her heart was with him.
Finally, mustering courage, she sent a message to the king: "I would like to stay with you, but for the sake on my people, I want to return to my own country. What I have heard and seen I intend to keep in my heart."
He was shaken by the message.

Solomon (inner thoughts): A woman of such splendid beauty has come to me from the ends of the earth! What do I know? Will God give me seed in her?

The king tried to persuade Makeda to change her mind with a message to the queen. It read: Follow me now and I'll complete your instruction about my administration.

Makeda: Oh, Tera, what should I do?
Tera (her lady-in-waiting and confidante): Follow your heart!

Makeda sent Solomon a second message. It read: From being a fool, I have become wise by following your wisdom and from a thing rejected by the God of Israel, I have become a chosen woman because of this faith which is in my heart; and from now on I will worship no one except him. And as far as what you've said, that you want me to increase in wisdom and honor, I will come according to your desire.

Solomon was excited by the message, so he decided to have another grand banquet in Makeda's honor.

4. SEDUCTION

THE SPLENDOR of Solomon's refurbished tent beside the Palace even caught Makeda by surprise. The purple hangings and thick crimson carpeting, decorated with the marble and precious stones.
He burned aromatic powders and sprinkled oil of myrrh and cassia round about and scattered frankincense and costly in all directions.
Solomon intentionally sent her spicy meats which would make her thirsty and drinks which were mingled with vinegar and fish and dishes made of pepper.
After the 10-course meal, the administrators, counsellors and servants left, leaving Solomon and Makeda alone in the luxurious tent.
"Now that we're alone together, why not stay here with me until daybreak."
Flushed with the wine, she blushed and whispered: "Swear to me by the God of Israel, you won't take me by force, for I'm still a virgin. If you were the seduce me, I'd travel back to Ethiopia in sorrow and affliction."

Solomon was accustomed to playing games of seduction and already a number of his other wives, particularly Pharah's daughter had noticed the king was paying undue interest in this Ethiopian.
"Are you sleeping with her?" they brayed.
"No!" It was an honest answer; not that he didn't want to and now, with Makeda's imminent departure, there was little time left to seduce her.
With the heavy aromatic perfumes wafting through the room and the lights dimmed, he said, "I swear to you I won't take you by force, but you must swear to me that you won't take anything in my house by force."
Makeda barely heard him.
She giggled. A virgin's laugh.
"Being a wise man, why do you speak like a fool? Why would I steal anything or carry anything out of the house that you haven't given me already? Do you imagine I came to you because of the love of riches. Moreover, Ethiopia is as wealthy as yours and I lack nothing. I've only come to you to seek wisdom."
Solomon sulked.
"Alright, swear to me you won't take me by force and I won't take any of your possessions by force."

A manservant got a large bed ready and the king said to him, "Wash out the bowl and fill it with water while the queen is looking and then close the doors on this tent and go to sleep."
The king pretended to sleep.
Meanwhile, Makeda, the thoughts of the farewell banquet still fresh in her mind, was restless. She woke up and her mouth was dry. She moved her lips and found no moisture.
Looking across at the appealing form of Solomon, she was certain he was sleeping. She tiptoed towards the bowl filled with water and lifted it to her thirsty lips.
Suddenly, Solomon seized her by the right wrist before she could drink.
"Why have you broken your oath? You said you wouldn't take anything by force which is in my house."
Makeda shivered at the words.
"Is the oath broken by my drinking water?"
"Is there anything that you've seen under the heavens that's better than water?" Solomon retorted.
Makeda realized he had placed her in a compromising situation.
"I have sinned against myself and you're free from your oath, but let me drink the water for my thirst."
She drank her fill.
Realizing she was a virgin, Solomon slowly kissed her on the cheeks, trying to alleviate her fears. The kisses moved along the nape of her neck and then the lips.
The pentup passion of years of suppression erupted in a volcano os lust as Makeda gave herself freely.
"Solomon, she moaned as she felt his manhood slowly thrust into her. The pain of her first time was acute, but only for a moment, and then it became a pleasureable experience. Both were soon awash in sexual ectasy.

After his explosion of passion inside her, Solomon rolled over on the bed and he dreamed of a brilliant sun that came down from heaven and spread over Israel. After it stayed there for a while, it suddenly withdrew and it flew away to the country of Ethiopia.
Waking up with a start, he thought to himself, I wanted to see if it would come back to Israel, but it didn't return."
He closed his eyes again and the imagery was even more intense.

The night of lovemaking weighed heavily on both their minds.
He couldn't dismiss the dreams and she was trapped in a dilemma, of exhileration and also disgust, for she's lost her virginity, even if it was to this handsome king.
"Dismiss me," snapped Makeda. "Let me depart to my own country."
Solomon wanted to pacify her and he loaded up a caravan of 6,000 camels and wagons with beautiful apparel.
Summoning the demon Ornais with the Ring of God, he had him construct, with the assistance of other spirits, two special vehicles, one in which to travel over the sea and one which to travel through the air.

5. THE RING

THE NIGHT of seduction was imbedded in her mind even as she got ready to leave for Ethiopia.
Solomon, a man who believed in ceremony, arranged for Jerusalem to come out en masse to bid and her entourage goodbye.
For a few moments they were alone within the Palace and he took the Ring of God -- the small gold band with Yahweh's special name inscribed inside it -- and gave it to her. The ring had been given to Solomon by his father, David, and was the most powerful connection to the Almighty with the exception of the Ark of the Covenant.
"Take this so you won't forget me. And if it happens I obtain seed from you, this ring will be a sign. If it's a man child he will come to me and the peace of God be with you."
Then he related the dream.
"While I was sleeping with you I saw many visions in a dream and it seemed as if the sun had risen on Israel, but it snatched itself away and flew off and lighted up Ethiopia, peradventure your country will be blessed through you, God knows. For he punishes those who are arrogant and he shows compassion on those who are humble. He removes the thrones of those who are needy. For death and life are with him and riches and poverty are bestowed by His will. For judgment in the heavens and in the earth or in the sea or in the abysses. God be with you. Go in peace."
"I love you, Makeda."
"I love you, Solomon."

No comments: