Monday, February 12, 2007

Fringes from the Ark

XI
Fringes from the Ark

TAMRIN, her regent, was now 74 and arthritis had savaged his body. However, he was summoned into the Throne Room.
"I know this would be a terrible hardship," she began, "but would you consider taking Ibna Hakim to Jerusalem, for he pesters me night and day."
The light shone in the old merchant's eyes again.
"I thought you'd never ask."
Makeda grew pensive and said, "Tam, when he returns to me, I'm going to give up my throne to him. I'll rescind the law of this country, which my father, Agabos, that only a virgin daughter would reign."
"I agree," said Tamrin.
"You know, Tam, I told Solomon that a woman wouldn't reign in Ethiopia any more and a male child of his and his descendants would rule forever? Did you know that? It must have been a premonition, for I didn't even know I was pregnant at the time. I told Solomon that he should write it down and put it in the Temple that will be built in the Last Days?"
"The Last Days?"
"I must have had a spell when I said it, for I had a dream, which I really couldn't understand."

Makeda wrote a letter to be delivered to Solomon. In it she told him of her decision to abdicate and that her people would adopt the rleligion of Israel. Finally, she pleaded with him to send her the fringes from the covering of the Ark of the Covenant, in the Temple.
"Peace be to the strength of your kingdom and to your brilliant wisdom, which God, the Lord of Israel our creator has given you."
Then Makeda took Ibna Hakim aside and gave him the Ring of God in order that Solomon might know his son and also know of the covenant she had made that she would worship God all the days of her life.

No comments: